Friday, April 8, 2016

The (no longer creepy) Basement

Since I have been teasing the basement remodel for weeks now, I thought that I would just jump to the chase and do the reveal.  Up first though, our motivation for this remodel.  In past posts, I talked about moving our laundry room to the basement in what was then thought of as the first step in starting our kitchen remodel.  In October 2015 when we found out we were pregnant, our priorities quickly switched from the kitchen remodel to doing an addition in our basement.  We had two finished bedrooms in our basement and a good sized TV room, but the bedrooms were separated by a large (scary) unfinished space.  With our upstairs guest bedroom now needing to be converted to a baby room, we knew that we needed to make the basement a space for our guests, which meant that adding a bathroom downstairs was in order.

In late October, we applied for a building permit and it took two months to get approved (a story for another day), so construction started in January 2015 just after the holidays.  To say that this project took us awhile would be an understatement (we finished it in February 2016).  It was a project fraught with issues and unforeseen expenses, and there were many times that I just wanted to abandon it, but we persevered (or Eric did anyway- I was taking care of twins) and are happy to say that it has been completed- as confirmed by the Boulder County building permit department!

Let's start with the entrance to the new space.  In the former configuration, we had a TV room with a large fire proof door that served as the entrance to the unfinished area.  It made sense to remove that doorway and start our hallway into the new space from here.  Below shows this update- the door is gone and we now have a long hallway
























One of the biggest hopes for this project was that our basement wouldn't feel like a basement. Basements creep me out.  I think this stems from growing up in New Mexico where basement do not exist.  My thought process was that if I was going to ask family/friends to sleep in a (creepy) basement, then it better be as bright and cheery as we can possibly make it.  With this in mind, all paint colors stayed light and we added TONS of can lights.




As you head down the hallway, and take the first turn to the right, there is now a good sized laundry room and a 3/4 bath just off this. May I just say that putting a slot sink in our laundry room was the greatest decision ever made.  I have never dealt with having to pre-soak so much dirty laundry in my life- thats twins for you I guess.


We were able to add some cute little storage nooks in this space that I love!  We still need to get our washer and dryer up on pedestals.  We may take a stab at building pedestals ourselves.


From the laundry, we have the bathroom entrance.


Again, tons of lighting.  In a relatively small space, we chose to forgo a cabinet vanity and instead go with a pedestal sink.   I did however search to find a sink that had significant surface area around the sink so that people can place there stuff on top of it while getting ready.


I am thrilled with the shower.  I feel like we have really honed our tiling skills at this point. 


Tiling the underside of the soffit was interesting, but that is one of the many perks of having an engineer for a husband.  They love figuring out stuff like this.




You'll notice that we chose to tile the entire addition.  I had at first imagined that we would carpet the hall, but there was no way we were going to find an exact match for our existing carpet and cost-wise, tile actually made a lot of sense.










If you refer back to the hall picture, the second doorway off to the right is our mechanical room. During this remodel, we put in a new furnace, air conditioner and water heater (these were the unforeseen expenses I referred to previously).  In addition, we have a water softener, whole house water filtration system, radon gas mitigation system and the sewage ejector basin.











Finally, Eric's poker room resides at the end of the hall.  This room is still in need of an overhaul- new windows, paint and flooring.  We will get to it someday.

So there you have it!  A basement that I do not feel guilty inviting guests to stay in.  In my next post, I will cover the work that we did ourselves and the work we hired out, as well as some of the lessons we learned along the way.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment