Thursday, April 14, 2016

My Mom's Banana Bread

Growing up, my mom never cut any corners when it came to cooking/baking.  Every night we had a balanced dinner on the table and Sundays always included a from scratch dessert.  One of my favorite things to this day that she would make is her banana bread.  While baking any bread from scratch may seem intimidating, this recipe is about as easy as it gets.  I can see now why she made it so often. It also freezes really well, so I almost always make two loaves at a time. Now that I am starting to have a little time free to dip my toes back into cooking and baking, this bread has become a staple in our house especially seeing as how the girls love it so much.

This is a dump it all in the mixer and let it go kind of recipe.  I start with adding the sugar and softened butter to the mixer and let it combine.
















Next, I drop in the eggs.  I do not pre-mix these- I literally crack them and drop them in.



Up next is the bananas.  You can see the ripeness of the bananas that I used below.  Again, I just break these up into large 2" chunks and drop them in as the mixer is going.


Then I sift all my dry ingredients together and slowly add them to the wet ingredients in the mixer.  After the dry ingredients are added is when you would add pecans if you like and your vanilla.

Meanwhile, I prepare my loaf pans with cooking spray.  This Baker's Joy is a flour and oil mix that makes life so much easier than having to actually grease and then flour your pans.



The final step is to pour it into your loaf pans, let rest for 20 minutes and then pop into the oven.



I have a convection oven so I pulled these about five minutes short of the cooking time listed below. I always check with a toothpick first.


I think Banana Bread is the girls favorite thing.  In the loaves above, I cut the sugar a bit since these are for the girls.  They did not seem to mind...


I couldn't even get Noelle to look at me.  She was to focused on her food!


These photos are so nostalgic for me because back in the day, I would make banana bread for the twins that I used to nanny for.


Now they are in middle school...

Mom's Banana Bread
(for two loaves)

1 c. butter softened
2 c. sugar
4 beaten eggs
6 large bananas
4 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. soda
1 c. pecans (optional)
2 tsp. vanilla

Cream butter and sugar.  Fold in eggs.  Mix in bananas
Sift dry ingredients and add.  Add vanilla and nuts if desired.
Pour into greased loaf pan.
Let stand for 20 minutes.
Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
Remove from pan and cool on rack immediately after removing from oven.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment