Monday, September 16, 2013

Puzzled

We're back and happy to report that our little house survived the Boulder floods!   Sorry to have left you with notice that I would report back with vanity pictures and then disappear, but life just got in the way.  Plus, we bought this 2000 piece puzzle after days of being stuck inside due to rain and it became all consuming.  I kid you not.



It's the never ending puzzle. I am kind of sick to death of putting it together, but I simultaneously have a compulsion to finish it and then mess it all up again. 

Today though, we are back to our DIYing (new word) and I am happy to report that we now have a  semi- functional bathroom.  If you remember from this post, Eric and I installed our cabinets (ordered through Home Depot's kitchen and bath department) and then had a two week delay after templating before our vanity top was due to arrive.  In that time, we decided to go ahead and add the hardware and get our mirrors installed (recycled from our old bathroom- thrifty DIY).  Of course, we used our handy dandy hardware template for the cabinets- lifesaver.


Once holes were marked, we started drilling. We did this by initially drilling a small pilot hole and then moving to the appropriate drill bit for the hardware.


We decided on pulls for the drawers and knobs for the cabinets. All hardware was purchased at Home Depot.  Boy do I need to dust those cabinets.


Install only took about an hour to complete and we happily moved on to other projects to take care of in the interim. The exciting part of our story comes when I got the call that our vanity top was in.  Yippee!!!

So, last week the installers showed up and got to work installing our ridiculously long vanity.  It took them about three hours to do, but here it is!  Please excuse the mirror install as we are still waiting on our mirror trim to match the vanity.



We chose to go with a quartz counter top in River Shoal for a number of reasons.  The main one was that I wanted a durable surface that wasn't overly busy.  We were slightly limited on material choices due to the length of our vanity ( it is 108" long), so I basically had to go with either granite or quartz.  I found most of the granite to be busier than I wanted, so quartz it was!


In an effort to save a bit of money, I purchased our under-mounted sinks and faucets from Home Depot.  Due to the length of our vanity, I decided on an 8 inch spread faucets rather than the standard four inch spread and I am really happy with the results.  Plus, it looks like it will be easier to clean.


Install was done in one evening and was actually very easy (how often can you say that about a plumbing job?).  It looks a little odd, but it is only because our sinks about six inches off from where our old sinks were.


So, now it about time to kick our rears into gear and start on our shower.  Our shower pan install is occurring as I speak (I will recap this later this week), and once that dries,  it  is go time for shower walls and more tiling.  I said to Eric yesterday, "I don't know if I am ready to tile the shower, I haven't fully mentally recovered from tiling the floor", to which he answered, "we have the rest of our lives after the shower is done to recover, get to work".  Ah, the joys of marriage :)

No comments:

Post a Comment