Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Sunday Funday

Sunday was not quite as productive a day in the Baltz household as Saturday was.  Between church and a friend's birthday lunch, we didn't get started on projects until about 3PM.  In any case, we did get some minor work done.

Remember when I showed you that our plumber installed our new shower drain?  In doing so, he had to cut out a portion of our subfloor and move the drain a bit.  This left us with a hole in the subfloor, which is never good when we are discussing a place that will constantly get doused in water.  To fix this, we first screwed in a board below the subfloor (you can see it in place below).


Then, we used a liquid floor patch to fill in the opening.  It basically dries like cement, so we made sure and inserted the final drain screw before the floor patch was dry.  I let that set up for a couple of days and then went back last night and ran a large bead of caulk around the entire black portion of the shower drain.  With that, another job was checked off the to-do list.


Next up was some more drywall install. If you remember from this post, we ended up pretty much having to gut the shower/toilet area of our bathroom.   It left our shower looking pretty interesting...

Lots of drywall dust still floating in the air
Due to our custom shower pan still needing to be laid, there is a limited amount that we can do for the shower at this time, but we are able to add some drywall at the top.  This is because we do not plan to tile to the ceiling in this shower.

To prep for the drywall, we started by putting up all of the new insulation.  We even stuffed it into the little tiny corner cracks.  Then, we stapled on a strip of tar paper and then laid a six inch wide piece of moisture resistant drywall over the top.


One thing that we learned in this process is that the schools of thought and codes on building showers have changed (codes are different everywhere so consult your own county codes on this).  Gone are the days of plastic sheeting and tar paper behind shower drywall.  That essentially creates a perfect mold breading ground if any water were to get back there.  Instead, you now put up your insulation, screw on your breathable tile service (durarock, hardybacker, etc.) and then RedGard everything.  This allows air to move around behind your shower wall, which means that if, God forbid, any water does get back there, it has the opportunity to dry out rather than turn into mold.  We ill use this treatment in the tiled areas of our shower.  However, up at the top of our shower there, we are just going to paint, which means that I will not have a RedGard layer there.  So, to add a little moisture resistance, we did put some tar paper in this area.

That concluded our laid back Sunday.  We hope to really ramp things up over our upcoming three day weekend.  Best case scenario, we will have a useable toilet in the bathroom come Monday!!!  We also have our one year wedding anniversary this weekend so between home projects, a bit of celebrating is in order.


No comments:

Post a Comment