Wednesday, July 31, 2013

It's A Bird. It's a Plane. Nope, it's Falling Attic Insulation

We're back for day two of our master bath remodel.  Being at work is rough this week because I am just so antsy to be working non-stop on that bathroom.  I want to get it done now, but know that it will realistically take a couple of months (we do have full time jobs to keep up with).

On Monday, I left off with our demolition discovery of our shower/ toilet area ceiling needing to be replaced.  I should mention, that many would probably be content to wipe the ceiling down with bleach, patch the drywall and then paint over this mess.  I however, do not like messing around when it comes to mold and feel like if we are going to fix something, we might as well do it right.  So, day two of bathroom work involved tearing down our ceiling.  Before we started ripping it out though, we made a quick trip up to the attic to move as much insulation off of this portion of the ceiling as possible.  Even still, it was a huge mess.


In the process of doing this, we noticed that our old recessed lights (which we had already planned to replace) we not supported by anything.  They were essentially just sitting on top of the drywall- what the heck was wrong with our previous houses owners?  Knowing that this wasn't a suitable install, I made a quick trip to Home Depot and bought all new equipment including the tension bars to attach the recessed lighting to the ceiling joists.  I should mention that if you are installing recessed lighting, please do your research.  In our case, we had to make sure that everything was IC rated, meaning that the light housing would not start our attic insulation on fire.


Install was surprisingly easy and took less than thirty minutes for two.  I am not going into detail on this because we are not electricians.

Good old up the nose shot
 

The next step was to cut out the new ceiling.  In this case, we chose to use moisture resistant drywall and cut the ceiling from one large sheet.  Although this makes install slightly more difficult (because it is heavy to hold up), it also means that there are less seams to tape.


This is the point in the project where I just back away and let Eric measure and cut.  I try to measure, but for whatever reason my measurements are never correct.  Maybe it is a girl thing, or a patience thing.  Who knows?  Anyway, Eric had this sheet of drywall cut out and ready to go in no time.  Then came the hard part.  Hard because I had to hold up this sheet of drywall (while standing on a ladder) while Eric sunk some screws in as fast as humanly possible.  It was the longest 15 minutes (just kidding, it was more like one minute) of my life.  Afterward, we had this:


Oh blue ceiling, you make me so happy.  Let me tell you, it is incredibly unnerving to stand in your master bath and be able to see into your attic.  For the three hours that we had a huge gaping hole in our ceiling, I was not a happy camper.

From there, we had about an hour of work time left (before it was 5pm beer time) and we decided to go ahead and get the skylight drywall installed too.



So, that concluded weekend one of the bathroom install.  I think it was pretty successful.  This weekend we have to get the hardy-backer installed on the floor and the shower lip constructed.  Our vanity and counter top should be ready in about three weeks so it is time to get going on our floor tile.

No comments:

Post a Comment