Tuesday, July 9, 2013

One Step Leads to Another

Just as with every other home project that we have done, re-staining our deck made some other deficiencies very apparent.  Our deck looked beautiful, so beautiful in fact that our outdoor dining table suddenly looked horrible on it.


To give you a little background, our outdoor table was found in a neighbors front yard with a free sign on it.  At first glance, I new it was a diamond in the rough; a five foot round teak table!  It just needed some TLC.  Eric and I quickly got it home (fearful that the neighbors would change their minds), sanded it down and I brushed on a polyurethane coating.  It served us well last summer, but the winter weather took its toll.

Not wanting to repeat this pattern every summer, I decided to clean up the table but change my course of action.  So, for the second time, I sanded the table down.  I started with 80 grit to get all the polyurethane off  and then finished off with 250 grit sandpaper.


This took about 1.5 hours to do and I then wiped off the dust left behind.  Once sanding was out of the way, it was all downhill from there.

I found this product at Home Depot:

I liked that it was an oil and that it actually soaked into the wood rather than forming a layer on top (read- nothing to sand off before reapplication).  So, I followed the directions to a "T"- two coats with short wait time between and then a quick wipe down with a rag.  This is after coat one.


The next morning I walked onto our deck to this!


Now that I what I call a nice looking table top!  Now the deck is not looking so hot again- Just Kidding.

Needless to say, I am thrilled with the results.  Two weeks later and it still looks just as good.  I will keep you posted on how it does through the winter, but with a 20 minute touch up project time, I am not too concerned if I need to reapply next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment