Monday, March 11, 2013

Travel Adventures- Costa Rica

Eric and I have been lucky enough to take some really fabulous trips in the short period of time that we have been together.  You see, I have always had the travel bug.  I come by it naturally, of course.  My parents love to go to far off places as well (their next trip is to the Cook Islands in June- jealous).

Picture if you will, the makings of our travel plans.  They typically start at my parents house. 
Naturally, a lot of wine is involved and the plans happen somehow.  It begins with "I wish we were in St. Bart's right now sipping pina coladas while laying in a hammock" and quickly evolves into a realistic plan.  In the summer of 2010, the scene was no different except this time, I was on a Costa Rica kick.

I had a coworker who had recently gone on a honeymoon trip to Costa Rica through the company Get to Costa Rica   and had an outstanding time.  His stories of beaches, monkeys, rain forests, great food and amazing people was enough to inspire me.  About ten minutes into my Costa Rica trip sales pitch, my parents were sold.  A couple of months later, the four of us were booked for a "nine day adventure package with private transportation" all through Costa Rica and it would prove to be a trip of a lifetime.

The trip started with a relatively short direct flight from Denver to San Jose and then a one hour car ride to the Los Angeles Cloud Forest to stay at the Hotel Villa Blanca eco lodge. 


We each had our own little Casita and the hotel did not disappoint!


We spent two days here hiking and relaxing and it was a wonderful way to start the trip. 

Eric in his jungle cameo

 The next location was Arenal Nayara.  May I just say that this hotel was the most amazing hotel I have ever been to in my life (and this is saying a lot because I have traveled all over the world). 


Hello private outdoor shower!


We all agreed that if we were to do this trip again, we would stay at Arenal Nayara again and for a longer period of time.



There' s nothing like a poolside view of a volcano to make it really feel like a vacation. But we did not spending all of our time just laying around.  Arenal Nayara was in a perfect location for all the adventures you expect while visiting Costa Rica.

We zip lined:


Rode horses to a waterfall, which we later swam in:.


La Fortuna waterfall



We did it all and when it came time to leave this location, we were not ready to go. 

Up next though was a drive to Tamarindo and the promise of some beach time.  We were staying at the JW Marriott Guanacaste and again, it was beautiful.


It was very different than Arenal Nayara, but extremely nice.  We spent our days here exploring the beach, collecting shells and well, let's be honest, drinking tropical "umbrella" drinks!



The beach at Lola's, which is a great little spot for drinks and food (at half the cost).



So, the moral of the story is that you should get yourself to Costa Rica.  We are already planning our next vacation there. 

**This post was not sponsored by any Costa Rican vacation sites.  I just REALLY love it there!




No comments:

Post a Comment