Thursday, March 28, 2013

A Two Hour Update

A couple of weeks ago, I ordered a stencil from Royal Design Studio not knowing for sure exactly where I wanted to use it, but just that at some point I would do a stencil project.  This is the stencil I picked out:

Endless Moorish Circles Moroccan Stencil

Moroccan Stencils Endless Moorish Circles
Picture from- http://www.royaldesignstudio.com/collections/moroccan-stencils/products/endless-moorish-circles-moroccan-stencil
I wanted a good beginner stencil- nothing too fancy. 
I then proceeded to procrastinate the project because I have been slightly intimidated with stenciling due to the fact that all of our walls have A LOT of texture on them.  In any tutorial you watch to learn to stencil step one is to sand down the wall to a flat surface.  This was not a step that I was willing to do because for one, I just re-painted all of our walls a year ago and two, I didn't want one flat wall in a sea of textured walls.  See my dilemma? 

This intimidation lasted until Tuesday evening when I just decided to bite the bullet.  What did I have to loose anyhow?  If the first try didn't work out, then I could just paint back over that one little section.  No harm done.

So, on the way home from work, I swung by Hobby Lobby to get this life saver and start the project.


This is an adhesive spray that you can use to tack down stencils.  It holds its "sticky" for awhile so you can use a stencil sprayed once with it multiple times.  I think that this stuff saved the whole project for me.  Word of warning though- spray this over a surface that you do not mind being sticky forever more.  I laid my stencil on an old sheet to spray and had to throw out the sheet at the end of the project because it was just that sticky.

Next, I started paint selection and stencil placement.  I wanted the paint color to be in the same color family as the existing wall color but offer a nice distinct contrast.  I also knew (from the board and batten project) that our floors and ceilings are not exactly level.  To deal with this, I simply leveled the stencil with a nice long level to make sure that the pattern was straight.  I really lucked out in that the stencil was the perfect size to cover my wall when turned horizontally.


It is at this point that I started praying for the best and began stenciling.  I used a dry brush method and just tap, tap, taped until the first block was done.  Then it was the moment of truth.  Did the texture ruin everything (and did I just waste 45 minutes of my life for nothing?)?

Drum roll please...     Ta-da!


It worked just fine!  Let's all breathe a collective sigh of relief...  So, I got to work repeating the same process that I described before (level the stencil, stick to wall, tap,tap,tap).


And, before I knew it, I was near done!

The bottom piece was slightly more difficult because I had a baseboard to contend with, but knowing that I likely would not use this same stencil in our house again (and that the stencils are relatively inexpensive), I cut the stencil to the perfect size.  I also taped off the baseboard so that I could get my paint right up to the edge.


For the top portion, I again did a little more stencil cutting and was done with the entire project in no time!


Is it perfect? No.  But it passes my OCD approval test!  Plus, who looks at your walls that incredibly closely? Please say that none of my friends or family look at my walls that closely (Mom- I am talking to you).


I love it! Eric loves it!  Chloe and Lola love it.  The chickens...  Okay, I'll stop now as you probably get the point.
 It kind of wants me to stencil everything, but then I remember that I spent two hours just tap, tap, taping and I change my mind.  Who knows, maybe in a couple of months I will be ready for another stencil project.





Now I just need to work on that plant.  It is looking a bit rough...

No comments:

Post a Comment