Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Cozy For Him, Frightening For Me

Today's post is a quick flashback to one of the first rooms that we tackled at our house.  While we were still in the process of finishing the guest bathroom, I quickly became bored with the waiting game associated with cutting and precisely installing tile and began a little side project of my own.  I am one of those weird people who actually finds painting relaxing and very gratifying, so I got to work on painting.

This room was high on the agenda for needing help.

 I am sure that you have no need to question why I started here...


This is a guest bedroom on the main level of our house that Eric actually used as his bedroom.  He thought that the master bedroom seemed too large for a single guy to use and was happier here.  My thought upon seeing it was, "blank walls, green carpet, outdated closet doors and curtains- what is happy about this place?". 


But, I held my tongue, talked him into moving into the master bedroom and began work.  I wanted to go with something subtle yet fun and just make the room look very clean and inviting.  I decided upon horizontal stripes that I had seen Young House Love (Young House Love) do in their previous home's bathroom.  Instead of doing stripes on every wall though, I picked one accent wall because the room is small and I did not want to make it look any smaller than it already was.
This is when knowing an engineer came in very handy.  Also handy was owning a laser leveler.

Prior to laying our tape for the beige stripes, I painted the entire room Valspar's Honeymilk and then used Wishes by Glidden to create the stripes (told you I copied Young House Love).  I also removed all of the baseboards because we had decided to slowly transition the entire house from small baseboards to more decorative thick ones.


The taping and painting took about two hours and in all honesty, it was kind of fun!  Before we knew it, we had this:
Definitely an improvement, but boy was that carpet an eyesore.  Luckily about a month after this picture was taken, Lowe's offered a free carpet install event and we jumped at the chance.

Today, the room looks like this:






It is a bit of a difference, wouldn't you say?  The bedding was definitely not my typical cup of tea, but I wanted to add some fun color and I feel like you can take some chances with a guest bedroom.

We also added some new lighting from Lowe's to brighten up the room, as well as some decorative touches.

The final change was new closet doors.  Some would have just painted over the old closet doors, but in all honesty they were so dirty and such a dark colored wood that we decided to just go the easy route and buy new doors.  We also wanted to update the doors and get away from all the horizontal slats in the old door that seemed just to collect dust.


Now we have a new guest room that I think anyone would be happy to stay in!

No comments:

Post a Comment